"Top Five" Philosophy Works

Burt Thorp bthorp at PLAINS.NODAK.EDU
Mon Nov 22 08:13:56 UTC 1999

Yeah, obviously I missed that somehow.  But I guess I was thinking that it
makes no sense to try to compare Indian philosophy in the 20th century with
western philosophy.  One should instead compare the most creative periods
of Indian philosophy with the creative periods in the west.  For the west,
those periods would be the Greeks, then a long gap until Descartes and up
to the early 20th century (the books on the list).  The second half of the
present century has been mostly dead and derivitive as far as philosophy
goes.  But for India, the creative period would be in the past, Nagarjuna
and others.  Or, who?

Aurobindo, though certainly worth reading, never struck me as a philosopher
at all.  Rather, he is a tantric mystic, who, because of his western
education, was able to create a veneer of western rationality in his books.
 Radhakrishnan was a good writer, but I never could tell what advances he
made on traditional Vedanta.  I do enjoy his Upanishad volume.

Lists of the best whatevers in the 20th century have proliferated--they're
fun but silly.