SV: Query: Etymology of sanskrit "aham"/ I

Pascale Didier pad at FTO.DE
Wed Nov 10 07:13:51 UTC 1999

Thanks to all of you for your helpfull and very various responses,
and for the bibliography and the links.

it is very interesting for me to see that many different hypothesis
can be followed and the comparaison with dravidian languages is
very  interesting.

Dr Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

> aham is etymologically related to Latin ego and Greek egoon. The Skt.
> form goes back to an earlier form *egHom, where the H represents a
> laryngeal.

is it possible to date that?  Would it mean that there was no word
for "I" until this word was overtaken from  Greek?  (i thought , the
greek word comes from sanskrit)

Once again, thank for the help,

Best regards

Pascale Didier

PS: please excuse my bad english I am not a "professional "
linguist, just very interested in historical linguistic, I am french and
leaving in Germany and i am looking for the signification
(etymology)  from the word "I" in different languages- so many as
possible....