When did the gods become literate? Was: Are the gods literate?

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Wed Nov 3 00:54:44 UTC 1999

A related question:

It is generally acknowledged, I think, that there is no reference to writing
in Vedic.

There is interesting discussion in Allchin's *The Archaeology of Early
Historic South Asia: The Emergence of Cities and States* [Cambridge Unv.
Press 1995] of the first attestations of the Brahmi and Karosthi scripts.

But I am not aware of discussion of, or even identification of,  the first
unambiguous reference to writing in Indic literature .

Can anyone point to early text-places where writing is unambiguously referred
to? Is there a generally acknowledged first reference to writing in India?

George Thompson