Image worship and bhakti

Shrisha Rao shrao at IA.NET
Sat May 29 00:19:09 UTC 1999

On Tue, 25 May 1999, Mani Varadarajan wrote:

> > >I am interested in passages in bhakti literature which describe the ideology
> > >of statue/image worship. Are there any loci classici? Also, any references
> > >to self-immolation with regard to bhakti practices would be much
> > >appreciated. Thanks for any help.
> > >
> > >Justin Meiland
>
> I would suggest the Agama literature. The Pancaratra Samhitas
> in particular present the theology of image worship in a
> systematic manner.  I would suggest as a start the pAdma samhita,
> sAttvata samhita, and jayAkhya samhita.

A reference that may be useful in this regard is `Agamas and South Indian
Vaisnavism', by V. Varadachari (Madras : Prof. M. Rangacharya Memorial
Trust, 1982, BL1141.46 .V37 1982).  The author gives a fairly
comprehensive survey of the Pancharatra literature as found today with
special reference to its role in determining worship practices.  F. Otto
Schrader's `Introduction to the Pancharatra and the Ahirbudhnya Samhita'
(Adyar Library, Madras) remains the classic on the subject more than
eighty years after it was written.  The Sanskrit introduction to the
Lakshmi Tantra (published by the Adyar Library in 1959) is useful also;
however, a comprehensive study of the Pancharatra literature is still very
much a desideratum.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao