varna and jati

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 28 20:58:06 UTC 1999

At the outset let me state that, it would be better to abandon this
discussion on 'varna and jati', since we are unable to argue objectively
without getting emotionally involved.

But with respect to the post by Chandrashekaran I would just like to point
out one main thing :

>thEvAram etc. left in the hands of temple priests for preservation were

>thEvAram mansucripts were destroyed inside the Chidambaram temple by the
>priests

>UVS Iyer notes that as recently as decades before him, carnatic music
>composiitons in Tamil were being >destroyed systematically and laments why
>anyone would do so.

Why did the ThevAram, the music scripts get into the hands of the brahmin
priests in the first place? Why should they preserve it for the dravidians?

Let's suppose that the brahmins had not preserved the Vedic knowledge
themselves and let it into the hands of the Brits who destroyed it. Then is
there any cause to complain? It is the duty of those who belong to the
culture, to preserve and sustain their culture.

>not only were they ignored but their works were destroyed.

Why do you seek recognition from the brahmins? They ignore it because it is
not part of their culture. Isn't it your duty to preserve and sustain your
culture?

>What has happened to Bhakti songs of Nayanmars?

You tell me!

>Let Mr. Siva and Unnikrishan take an oath to create 1000 super >carnatic
>musicians from non-brahmins, there by prove their points.

Why should they? Why can't the dravidians indigenously do so?