varna and jati

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 27 20:51:56 UTC 1999

>I do not know how much exposure you have to Keralan low classes;
>   as your writings are mainly concerned with `high classes'.
>   Kerala caste system, arranged vertically has more people of fair
>   complexion among `high classes' whom you are in contact with
>   and very many people who are quite dark among the `low classes'.

This may well be due to the fact that the lower strata of the society are
usually engaged in manual labour, working in the fields etc and are
constantly exposed to the sun, thus resulting in a dark complexion.

This can be observed anywhere. Even in the USA I've seen quite a few white
labourers, who're not so white as those not engaged in such work.

>Can it be the 'sambandham' phenomenon working?

Yes. Working only in our minds.