Pronunciation of word final "a" in sanskrit

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 25 13:08:13 UTC 1999

I was wondering about the same. Does this have anything to
with the Nagari script? Not only the word final "a"s,
sometimes even internal "a"s are sometimes shortened,
though not to the extent of final "a"s.

In the South, the word final "a" is pronounced as full.