Pronunciation of word final "a" in sanskrit

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 25 07:49:31 UTC 1999

Dear Sanskritists,

A Gujerati friend who learnt sanskrit in high school in India pronounces
word final short "a" so short as to be almost imperceptable.  In the modern
grammars written in english short "a" is distinguished from long "a" both in
quality and length but I don't see any mention that short "a" is pronounced
any differently when word final than when word internal.  Is there any
mention in the sanskrit grammatical treatises of a different pronunciation
of short "a" when word final than when word internal?  If anyone knows the
answer but doesn't want to start another long discussion about whats proper
sanskrit pronunciation then if they could drop me a short private note it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Harry Spier