Dr.Thompson' dating of the RV...

Yaroslav V. Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Fri May 21 22:01:31 UTC 1999

>From yavass Fri May 21 01:47:41 MSD 1999

>Sri Iyer wrote:
>>What is your taking as Rigveda's date...

>Vishal replies:
>I am not competent enough to make a call on this issue.

If so, what particularly makes you think that you are competent enough
to dismiss Professor Thompson's hypothesis (which is firmly based on the
wide range of Rgvedic, as well as Avestan, texts) and even call it "absurd"?
        As for your own suggestions, how can you explain the fact that the
civilization of Classical Greece in the first four or five centuries of its
existence produced several times more texts than Vedic India in its
whole history? (If we take into account only surviving texts, which is the
only correct procedure). Should the Greeks too claim a period of several
millenia for their several thousand titles or so? And what about China?

      Best regards,
                                        Yaroslav Vassilkov