Date and place of Vaacaspatimizra

Wed May 19 05:53:47 UTC 1999

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan <Palaniappa at AOL.COM> wrote:

>I would appreciate information on the date and place of Vaacaspatimizra.
>Thanks in advance.

Place - Mithila, somewhere in modern Bihar. Various villages have been
proposed, with all the usual things to be said in favor of each site and
against each site.

Date - One work of his gives a chronogram. If I remember right, it decodes
to 846 in the northern calendar, but as always, there is sufficient feeling
among critical scholars that this is slightly too early. There is a good
summary of the research in the second volume of the Encyclopedia of Indian
Philosophies. I've found this set to be a very good ready reference for
queries of this type.

Vidyasankar