Does Purusha will?

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 18 17:59:32 UTC 1999

Ferenc writes :

>When proper knowledgerises in him
>(samyag-jJAnAdhigama) that again seems to be propositional knowledge ('I am
>entirely different from anything in nature'), and that presupposes some
>means of thinking this proposition - perhaps a kind of language, and a way
>of referring to external things (prakRti).

Not necessary. There's something called intuition. This might be a common
experience - you do not know something and are racking your brains over it.
But suddenly you know it. Out of the blue, you've the answer. How does this
happen? Intuition.

Ofcourse, thought can also lead to knowledge. But that doesn't mean it's the
only means. And thought can lead to knowledge only of external things - the
object - and never of the subject itself, since the subject is itself the
ground on which thoughts occur.

Thus Self Realization is not known by thinking, but by intuitive knowledge -
knowledge of yourself by yourself.

>Generally speaking, puruSa = consciousness (cetana), cannot logically be
>zuddha, i.e. objectless.  It can be zuddha, pure only in an ethical sense
>(and also materially as 'unbound' to any part of nature).

Experience is the foundation of logic. But a subjective state devoid of
object, is not common experience, which can be verified by anybody. If
Patanjali tells you it is so, then he's a mystic, since his experience is
not common experience and thus beyond logic. But that doesn't mean that such
a state is not possible.

>If my intuition is right

No Ferenc, you're not using your intuition, but logically analyzing -
thinking :-)