Women in Afghanistan [end of thread]

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sat Mar 27 11:33:32 UTC 1999

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Artur Karp wrote:

> I would like to thank Dr Dominik Wujastyk for his patience and ask him to
> formally close the  present thread.

Like Karp and Thrasher, I was staggered by Lusthaus's opinions.

I do indeed hereby formally end this thread, which is a very, very
important topic, but has no place in a forum concerned with Classical
Indian Studies.

I use my prerogative as founder of this list to end the thread with a
parting reference to a subtle and sensitive book about the Polish Jews:

        Eva Hoffman, Shtetl: the history of a small town and an
        extinguished world (London, 1998, isbn 0-436-20482-7).

It contains a nuanced account of a very difficult part of European
history. From the blurb: "... Hoffman reconstructs the lost wold of East
European Jewry up until its final days.  She explores the rich culture and
institutions of Polish Jews, and looks at the forms of multicultural
coexistence during several centuries, the shades of prejudice and
tolerance, and the phases of conflict and comity.  By probing the deep
ambivalence that coloured relations between Poles and Jews on the eve of
World War II, Shtetl throws new light on motives which influenced
Christian villagers' decisions to rescue or betray their Jewish neighbours
when the Nazis invaded."

---
Dominik Wujastyk
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/