Question on Jnaneshvari

Avinash Sathaye sohum at MS.UKY.EDU
Sat Mar 27 15:21:50 UTC 1999

Original query by Harry Spier:
>In the english translation of the Jnaneshvari.  (translated from the
>Marathi by V.G. Pradhan and edited by H.M. Lambert) in chapter 10
>between Jnaneshwars verses 203 and 208 are inserted verses 22 and 23 of
>the Bhagavad Gita (from Radhakrishnan's translation)  but they are in
>the reverse order that they appear in the Bhagavad Gita proper.  This
>makes them agree with Jnaneshwar's verse commentary as written in this
>edition.
>
>Could someone possibly tell me. If verses 204 through 208 in this
>translation agree with the Marathi original.  And also in the Marathi
>original are the sanskrit verses from the Bhagavad Gita usually inserted
>and if so is it usual to reverse verses 22 and 23 in chapter 10.

"K. S. Arjunwadkar" wrote:
March 27, 1999
In V. K. Rajwade's edition of Jnaneshvari supposed to be linguistically the
oldest, I find that
(i) the order of the Sanskrit verses 22 and 23 is reversed when compared to
the Sanskrit text tradition, and
(ii) Jnaneshvara's Marathi commentary agrees with the reversed order.
KSA
>>> My reply>>>
My copy - the so-called sAkhare-mahArAja edition (original from 1901) seems to
be different in this aspect. The gItA verses are in proper order as well as the
marAThI commentary is consistent with it. The j~nAneshvarI verses are numbered
223-227. This is considered to be one of the authentic traditional editions,
although Rajwade - a historian as well, is said to have made extensive research
and claimed to have corrected many errors from the traditional editions. As the
history goes, his edition was not accepted by the "believers" and he was
unhappy about that. The detailed story is interesting!

As to the last questions of Harry spier: YES the marAThI commentary does
include all the gItA verses in proper order interspersed throughout the text.
There are occasional mistakes - presumably made by the copy-writers. I hope
this answers all the questions.
--
With best regards,
Avinash Sathaye sohum at ms.uky.edu Web Page: www.ms.uky.edu/~sohum