Dravidian: Mother of Indo-European..

S.Kalyanaraman kalyan99 at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Mar 17 00:30:09 UTC 1999

Bijoy Misra <bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU> wrote:>
> I am not a linguist, but I don't understand why should
> a thesis blame anyone for neglect.  Lack of knowledge
> is not neglect, but an expression of ignorance.

I suppose one can express a different point of view without 'blaming' others.

Dr. Keerthi Kumar should be complimented for bringing a breath of fresh air
into the study of semantics(http://www.datanumeric.com/dravidian/)DISCOVERY OF
DRAVIDIAN AS THE COMMON SOURCE OF INDO-EUROPEAN "...we not only witnessed
Dravidian birthmarks on Indo-European in the shape of phonetic
correspondences, but the testimonies of not a handful but more than four
hundred and fifty Indo-European root-words is not to prove the same fact again
and again but to demonstrate and illustrate the great antiquity, endurance,
and importance of Dravidian..." (p.83)

The following are the principal sources used or IE examples:
(1) JS: The Origins of English Words: A discursive Dictionary of Indo-European
Roots, By Joseph T. Shipley; The Johns Hopkins University Press; Baltimore,
London, 1982. (2) Pei: The Families of Words by Mario Pei; Harper & Brothers,
New York, 1962. I do not know how representative these works are of IE
linguistic studies.

>From a study of the Indo-Aryan, Munda and Dravidian lexemes in over 8000
groups,it appears that as many as 4000 DEDR 'etyma' have concordant lexemes in
the other two language families, perhaps derived from common roots or semes.
These semantic groups tend to confirm the remarkable observations of Keerthi
Kumar.
(http://sarasvati.simplenet.com/Indian%20Lexicon/00000semcluster1.htm)

Would this be adequate evidence to claim that Dravidian is the mother tongue?
May be a thousand flowers bloomed at once; many language families are of great
antiquity.

Regards,
Dr. Kalyanaraman