Grammatical question. Strange case of doubled j's

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 6 23:01:06 UTC 1999

Madhav Deshpande wrote:

>        The only way a reading like -Atmajjyotir- with the doubled j
can
>be grammatical is through the rules of optional consonantal doubling.
>Consider Panini's rule 8.4.47 (anaci ca) which says that a consonant of
>the y-R group (= any consonant, except h), after a vowel, can be
doubled
>optionally, if it is not followed by a vowel.  Without getting into
>interpretational problems of this rule, the rule is applied in a form
like
>-sudhyupaasya.h- (from sudhii+upaasya.h) to derive an alternate form
such
>as -suddhyupaasya.h-.  The traditional grammarians like Bha.t.toji
>Diik.sita point out that for this form, with several optional rules of
>duplication, we can have the following alternatives:
>                        sudhyupaasya.h  (eka-dham, eka-yam)
>                        suddhyyupaasya.h (dvi-dham, dvi-yam)
>                        suddhyupaasya.h (dvi-dham, eka-yam)
>                        sudhyyupaasya.h (eka-dham, dvi-yam)
>Cf. Bha.t.toji's Siddhaantakaumudii.
>
>        Such optional forms indicate differing habits of pronunciation
>reflecting regional and other dialects of Sanskrit recorded by Panini.
>Some of this variation is seen in forms like aatmajjyoti.  In fact the
>grammarians prescribe far more possibilities of duplication than what
is
>attested in the usage of the manuscripts.  And, the reverse is also
true
>that manuscripts show occasional duplication which goes beyond the
rules
>of grammarians.
>        Best,
>                                Madhav Deshpande

Thank you Madhav,

Whitney in his grammar is far more restrictive in describing consonent
doubling than the above (y-R group optionally after vowel if not
followed by a vowel).  Whitney's rules are:

227. ch after vowel required.
228. After r any consonent (except spirant before a vowel) allowed
     or required.
     a. some authorities include (h,l, or v) along with r.
229. First consonent of a group - whether interior, or initial after
     a vowel of a preceeding word - allowed or required.
230. Some rules on inserting nasal sounds and vowel fragments.
230 f. What he calls "one or two cases of yet more doubtful value,
       see the prAtizAkhyas."

Is what Whitney describes (his sections 227,228 and 229) the common
occurance of consonent doubling, and those others outside the scope of
his rules but within the scope of yaR group as described above of
less common occurance? i.e. is Atmajjyotir actually uncommon?

Regards,

Harry Spier