TAXILA ACADEMY (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Mar 4 09:33:38 UTC 1999

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:28:48 -0600 (CST)
From: Aditya Dev Sood <adsood at midway.uchicago.edu>
Subject: TAXILA ACADEMY

Dear colleagues,

This message concerns Taxila Academy, a new summer program in Indian
Studies set in Bangalore, India. As you may be aware, we are now accepting
applications from college students, young professionals and other adults.
We have also instituted some scholarships for students from Australia,
South East Asia, Africa, Europe and South America (and Mexico).

We would be grateful if you could help us raise awareness about the
program by posting information about the program on your office door or
in similar institutional environments where prospective students might
have access to it. If you would be interested in receiving information
about the program please do email us at admissions at taxila-academy.com

The remainder of this email provides a brief description of the program.
We also invite you to visit our newly updated website at
www.taxila-academy.com

Thank you very much for your assistance. Please do contact should you have
other questions, concerns or suggestions.

Aditya Dev Sood
a-sood at uchicago.edu

                T A X I L A   A C A D E M Y   1 9 9 9
                        Summer Studies in India

ABOUT THE PROGRAM

Taxila Academy is designed for college students interested in
learning about India. The program accommodates up to 30
students from around the world. In 1999, Taxila Academy runs for
about 6 weeks, from the 18th of June to the 26th of July.

Students at Taxila Academy select two courses each, from a total
of six. These two courses correspond to about 6 credits of junior
or senior college level work. Coursework is supplemented with
special lectures, workshops, movie screenings, and excursions
during weekends. Classroom and field experiences complement
one another to enable focussed discussions on a representative set
of topics concerning India. Courses have been designed to appeal
to a range of students who might be interested in India from
socio-economic, political, philosophical, or cultural perspectives.

CURRICULUM: COURSES AND INSTRUCTORS

1. Traditions of Indian Dance and Music (Madhu M. Natraj)
2. Modern Indian Literatures in Translation (Manu Chakravarthy)
3. 20th Century India: Society and Politics (Sudha Sitaraman)
4. Indian Intellectual Traditions (Ananya Vajpeyi)
5. Intensive Hindi: Speaking, Reading, Writing (Staff)
6. South Asian Perspectives on the Environment (S. Chella Rajan)

EXCURSIONS AND FIELD TRIPS

1. Nrityagram
2. Mysore
3. Sravana Belgola - Halebid - Belur
4. Hampi and Badami
5. Retreat in Goa

SPECIAL LECTURES AND WORKSHOPS

1. Indian Feminist Theory and Activism
2. Carnatic Music Recital
3. Hindustani Music Recital
4. Sanskrit Theories of Aesthetics
5. India's Nuclearization Policy: A Debate
6. Effects of India's Economic Reforms
7. Indian Writing in English
8. Caste, Kinship and Social Hierarchy
9. Indo-Islamic Architecture and Design
10.Traditions of Craft Production

PROGRAM HISTORY

Taxila Academy was established in 1995 by New Strategies in
Education, an independent initiative based in India, the UK, and
the US. The summer program was first held in 1996, when
students from the United States, Canada and India collected in
Bangalore for an intensive six-week introduction to salient features
of Indian history, culture and society. Former students of Taxila
Academy attended premier colleges and universities around the
world, and have continued to pursue their interests in India after
their experiences on the program. Unlike other study-abroad
programs in India run by American universities, students at Taxila
Academy have the opportunity to study with Indian academics,
intellectuals and social workers. Our faculty has trained in India
and in other parts of the world, and so provides our students
special access to South Asia's rich intellectual resources.

APPLICATION PROCEDURES

Applications are accepted from February 1 through May 1, 1999,
on a rolling basis. The 1999 Course Guide and Application Forms
may be downloaded from our home page or requested by mail,
email or telephone. Completed applications should be mailed to our
Chicago offices:

TAXILA ACADEMY
4933 N. Wolcott #3A
Chicago IL 60640