New on the list

Anand Nayak Anand.Nayak at UNIFR.CH
Sun Jun 27 19:36:37 UTC 1999

I am in Switzerland. Nice to hear from Bali! Here are some books which
might interest you:

R.C.Majumdar, Hindu Colonies in the Far East, 2nd. ed. Calcutta:Firma
K.L. Mukhyopadhyay, 1963; H.G.Q.Wales, Towards Angkor; idem. Making of
Greater India, London, 1951.

The Visnusahasranama  is available in many different editions. You
might find the following useful: S.V.Rama Sastri,
Visnu-Sahasranamastotra with Sanmkara's commentary, Madras 1931; R.Rama
Sastry, Visnusahasranama (2 vols )Mysore, 1960-61.

If you would like to switch over  sometimes to Sivasahasranama, there
is a new book by a Jesuit priest from Pune: Subhash Anand, Siva's
Thopusans names, Intercultural Publications, New Delhi, 1998.

Wish you a good reading.

A. Nayak.

<excerpt>Dear people,

<excerpt>a new subscriber to this list, or in fact to any list. I live
in Bali and I am interested in understanding the roots of the Hindu
culture here. I also lived in India for several years though mainly in
Bengal. I have heard that the first traders that bought Hinduisim to
Indonesia were from Gujarat. Does anybody know anything about the roots
of Hinduisim in Java and Bali?

Also I am looking for a transliteration of the One Thousand Names of
Visnu (sahasra nama) if anybody knows of where I can find one.

</smaller></fontfamily>

</smaller></fontfamily>
Sarvesham svastirbhavatu        May all be prosperous

sarvesham santirbhavatu         May all be  peaceful

sarvesham purnambhavatu         May all be whole

sarvesam mangalambhavatu        May all be happy

INSTITUT DE MISSIOLOGIE ET DE SCIENCE DES RELIGIONS

INSTITUT FUER MISSIONS- UND RELIGIONSWISSENSCHAFTEN

Université de Fribourg

Avenue de l'Europe 20

CH-1700 Fribourg

Tel:    026/ 300 74 38 (Office)