Tenets, anyone?

Pamela Lyon Pamela.Lyon at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Jun 22 00:31:18 UTC 1999

I would appreciate any information on recent work (past five years or so)
on Tibetan Buddhist Tenets (grub mtha') or, more specifically, on the Four
Seals
(phyag rgya bzhi) -- theses, publications, anything.

My PhD research, recently begun, involves a critical, comparative analysis
of these foundational propositions from the Madhyamika viewpoint.  However,
I am
interested in work relating to the treatment by any of the 'four' schools
of Tenets of the philosophical issues contained within and/or implied by
the phyag rgy -- especially the first (All compounded/produced phenonmena
are impermanent).  I am particularly interested in:

causation/dependent origination
time/permanence/impermanence
ontology
Buddhist logic (esp. the catuskoti)

Any suggestions as to not-to-be-overlooked comparative (East-West)
scholarship also would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Pamela Lyon
Pamela Lyon
PhD Student
Asian History Centre                     ALSO: (as I am a distance student)
The Australian National University              20 Wellesley Avenue
Canberra, ACT  0200                             Evandale, SA  5069
Australia                                       Australia
Ph: +61 2 6279 8240                             Ph/fax: +61 8 8362 9324
Fax: +61 2 6279 8326                            pamelalyon at ozemail.com.au
Pamela.Lyon at anu.edu.au