Original Dravidian Homeland

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Mon Jun 14 03:55:46 UTC 1999

Balaji Hebbar wrote:

> 4.  Both  the  Aryans  and  Dravidians  entered  India  from  the
> outside.  (again,  know  not  who  advocates  this?)

Well, as you say most people tend to believe in the Adi-Fred Flintstone
Out of Africa theory.  I guess the question then comes where did the
Dravidian language or the Dravidian physical type develop.

Unless you accept McAlpin's theory there are no Dravidian languages
remotely near the Mediterranean.  Even Elamite would represent something
on the fringe of Dravidian distribution and would violate the principles
of least moves and greatest diversity (if you're looking at Elam as the
place of origin).

If you just look at existing Dravidian languages and Dravidian
substrata, then we would have to estimate the place of origin somewhere
in South Asia.

> From the biological standpoint, the oldest modern "Australoid" type that
I'm aware of comes from Niah Cave in Indonesia dating to about 25 to 30
thousand bp. There's no doubt, in my mind at least, that Dravidians are
strongly Australoid in character as were most of the oldest remains from
India (including Harappa).

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala