Pythagoras mentioned in Vedas?-A simpler explanalation

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 14 01:16:37 UTC 1999

Respected Dr. Knudsen,

I advance a simpler explanation:

The Pythagoras theorem has been stated in the Baudhayana Sulba Sutras. Now
many Hindus (like Sayanacarya) include even the Kalpasutras in the cateogory
of Vedas, and the Hare Krishnas include even the Puranas etc. in 'Vedic
Literature.'

The fact that the theorem attributed to Pythagoras is stated in the
Baudhayana Sulba as well is publicized in 100's of Mathematics texts
prescribed for children in Indian schools (as also the fact that the
'Pascal's Triangle' occurs in Pinagalacarya's Chhanda sutras and so on).
Since one of the persons involved in the discussion is a Hare Krishna, we
might surmise that he got his facts slightly mixed up.

Regards,

Vishal