CSX+ fonts & cross-platform email exchange

John Smith jds10 at CAM.AC.UK
Sun Jun 13 13:15:49 UTC 1999

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999, Jaap Pranger wrote:

> Can you easily exchange Tex documents with Windows and MacOS
> users?  I guess you can, but please tell.

Yes, you can.

> BTW, John, last year in Conv-Dev you mentioned ACII.  You said: "ACII
> is the name used for the full 8-bit character set comprising 7-bit ASCII
> in the lower half and 7-bit ISCII in the upper half."
> Is this charset in use anywhere? I can't imagine reasonable Nagari
> coming out from a 7-bit subset.

It is used in all of CDAC's products (ALP for DOS, iLeap for Windows, and
others). The output Nagari (/Bengali/Gujarati/Tamil/etc.) is extremely
good. This is because, like Unicode, an intermediate piece of software (a
"renderer") handles conversion from logical character to actual glyph.

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html