Pythagoras mentioned in Vedas?

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen tlk at MATH.KU.DK
Sat Jun 12 21:07:27 UTC 1999

Dear all,

I have followed with great interest the recent discussion on different
flood stories in the ancient world.  In connection with the
mentioning of Noah in the Bhavisys Purana I got to think of
something.  Some time ago I read one book (which I since lost)
entitled "Om Shalom."  The book was a dialogue between a person
from the Hare Krishna movement and a Jewish rabbi.  Anyway, in
the book there is related a story of how Pythagoras, the Greek
philosopher and mathematician, went to India and met 12 brahmins
who spoke to him in Greek.  Pythagoras got the name
"Yavanacarya," teacher of the Yavanas.  I found this interesting but
have never read anything else about this since.  Does anyone know
about this?  Can anyone give me some references?  Is Pythagoras
mentioned in the Vedas or Puranas?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Toke Lindegaard Knudsen