Is "Sanskrit" Dravidian ?

Hans Henrich Hock hhhock at STAFF.UIUC.EDU
Thu Jun 10 23:31:04 UTC 1999

Yes, the morphemes in these endings and the morphology that combines the
morphemes in all three languages are inherited from Proto-Indo-European.
The phonetic differences result from regular sound changes applicable in
these phonological contexts.  For a complete cognate word set with these
endings see Skt. yug-a-m : Gk. zug-o-n : Lat. iug-u-m 'yoke'.

For details on these correspondences and the sound changes involved I would
suggest you consult a comparative Indo-European grammar.

abhivaadaye,

Hans Henrich Hock