Is "Sanskrit" Dravidian ?

Thu Jun 10 20:46:09 UTC 1999

>The word "samskrutam" has the suffix -am, indicating a Dravidian origin of
>the word. Is it possible to trace a Dravidian origin for the prefix
>samskr- ? Perhaps, Shimoga (Kann. place), Shanmugam (Tam. name), Shan
>(Burmic) are the sources.

I thought the frivolousness of this fruit of a fertile imagination would be
obvious to everybody. Come on, from Shimoga to Shanmugam to Shan to
Sanskrit? I can't believe that some of our learned regular contributors are
taking this so seriously, instead of simply recommending Linguistics 0.1.

Vidyasankar