sankethi brahmans

Nikhil Rao marpally_n_p at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 8 06:11:20 UTC 1999

While speaking to a sankethi brahman (carnatic flutist shashank's
father) I learnt that the sankethis were originally from Tirunelveli
dist. and were settled in villages in Hassan dist. by the Mysore
maharaja. I also learnt that this happened just less than 200 years
ago.
Is there any reference to this story other than tradition since this
might have been documented in the maharaja's court. Also what might be
the origin of the name sankethi ?(this I forgot to ask him)

Thanks,
Nikhil