Tamil and Prakrit Consonant Assimilation

N.Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 5 10:32:50 UTC 1999

Prof. Parpola's reply to me. Regards, N. Ganesan

The Prakritic consonant assimilation may be due to a substratum
influence of Dravidian originally spoken in North India: when people
speaking a language with few or very simple consonant clusters speak
another language with complicated consonant clusters such as Sanskrit,
this is what tends to happen. I think the Tamil assimilation provides
a parallel showing that this is indeed a likely hypothesis.

With best regards,
Asko Parpola