Sundarapandya's Varttika

Wed Jun 2 23:16:47 UTC 1999

Vishal Agarwal <vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Therefore,
>occurance of the same words as an integral portion of Pancikarana do not
>mean neceassarily that they are an original creation of Bhagvatpada, for
>they do occur as a quotation in the BG Bhasya.

I don't question that, as BG bhAshya specifically says the sentence is
sampradAyavidAm vacanam. The question is whether this sampradAyavit can be
accurately identified. Besides, there is a variant tradition regarding the
pancIkaraNa (re: viSveSvara sarasvatI's manual of yatidharma) which does not
include the first half of the commonly published text, and therefore omits
this sentence.

Thanks for reminding me that Sankara quotes the paingI rahasya, and not the
paingala. I was relying on memory too, and got the names confused in my
mind.

>I still have to respond to you on Govindapada (I remember!)

:-) I'm looking forward to it!

Regards,
Vidyasankar