[Q]: Research on Marathas in TN

Nikhil Rao marpally_n_p at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 2 00:00:20 UTC 1999

Narayanaswami Appa is correct!. There would be more references in the
Saraswati Mahal library. Is there anyway to contact them by email ?.
The Thanjavur Deshasthas today are mostly clueless about the details
about their migration to TN, the most common answer is that they
migrated during the times of Shivaji/Sambhaji etc. Some of the families
have preserved their adNAvs (surnames), while some of these indicate
the place e.g, Patankar, Kolhapurkar others indicate links to surnames
current in Maharashtra today
e.g, Dole, Kshirsagar, Pingale. Also, the smarthas have preserved their
original family names better than the madhvas!. Was the advaitin Nagoji
Bhatta one amongst the deshasthas ?