studies of sandhyopAsana

Nikhil Rao marpally_n_p at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 2 23:39:51 UTC 1999

While this is not a direct answer to your question. Acharis
(Goldsmiths, Carpenters ) do wear the sacred thread. What veda/sutra is
followed by them I dont know. Also a few amongst the Vaisya community
also undergo the Upanayana. The arasu(s) in Karnataka may have a
tradition of upanayana.

In Maharashtra, some of the CKPs (chandraseniya Kayastha Prabhus)
undergo upanayana.
Nikhil