The conception of Rama

Srini Pichumani srini_pichumani at MENTORG.COM
Thu Jul 1 19:52:06 UTC 1999

Bharat Gupt wrote:

> The vedic niyoga was much simpler, rational and mutually respectful than its
> modern technological version of fertility clinics. It went beyond patriarchal ego
> and feimine whims. The modern version is a hoax, a religious perversion, a tremendous
> waste of medical resources and anti-poor. It is open to commercial abuse and
> exploitation of the therd-world people by first world technology. The modern
> rationalists, who speially in India, only rejoice in reviling the ancient Indian
> civilisation, have no guts to advocate a return to niyoga or modernise it even for the
> sake of women freedom.  Nor do those claiming to advocate a scientific and liberal
> outlook have the humility t learn from ancient civilisations which found abiding answers
> to problems that we face even now.

In your rather luddite rant above,  you _seem_ to be only considering the possibility that
the male is incapable of producing offspring.   I don't know your awareness of modern
fertility methods,  but suffice it to say that it has helped a lot of couples I know in the
US and in India  suffering from "unexplained infertility" i.e. where both the male and
female check out fine...  and many other women who are temporarily unable to bear children
because of  endometriosis,  ovulation problems,  etc.  In many cases,  the procedures
involved were straightforward medical ones deserving none of the hoax or religious
perversion characterizations stated above.

I know you are comparing ancient niyoga to modern fertility,  but if you wanted to be
oh-so-humanistic,  why not just suggest straight adoption ?

-Srini.