SV: creation of human kind

Chandrasekaran, Periannan Periannan.Chandrasekaran at DELTA-AIR.COM
Thu Jan 21 20:43:37 UTC 1999

> From: Mani Varadarajan [mailto:mani at SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU]
>>

> This can only mean that the Venkatakrishna mUlabEra is
> none other than Arjuna's charioteer, Parthasarathy.
> Tirumangai Alvar's verses on this temple describe
> the god within as "paarthan tan tEr mun ninRAnai", the one
> who "stands" in front of Arjuna's chariot -- a reference
> to none other than the Gitopadesam.

> I am sorry to be so argumentative in this thread; but these
> unsubstantiated one-line theories are quite annoying.
>
> Mani

         From the description given in "108 vaiNava Divya tEsa varalARu"
of "tiruvallikkENi" which I posted earlier, one cannot conclude that the
vEnkaTakrishNA
is related to pArthasArati. Neither the history of that temple nor the
image of the mUlavar helps you in this regard. Only the festival deity
(utsavar) is in the pArtasArati form.
Even the history of other temples where pArthasArathi is said
to be presiding, the main deity is not pArthasArathy.

Also it is interetsing to see that even though the standard
imagery of the gItOpadEsa is that of both KrishNA and ArjunA
both standing *on* the chariot and the former preaching gItA
in that posture, the AlvAr says "in front of" the chariot (
of course
without mentioning whether he was preaching anything to ArjunA).
I wonder what the significance of this discrpepancy is.

chandra