[q] Seeking information on "hiraNyagarbha" ceremony

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 30 23:52:56 UTC 1999

>according to legends, kumArila bhaTTa, the philosopher is
>said to have committed self-immolation out of guilt. If you
>are still interested in pursuing, I can give references.

<<<
Please do...plus any to any textual references to fire walking, at the
Draupadi temples or otherwise....do you agree that their might be a
connection the the agni-pariksha idea?  Showing one's sanctity in this
way?
Maybe not, of course, but it's a scholarly hunch I'd like to corroborate
or nulllify via textual sources...

  Have seen few references on fire walking in Draupadi
  Amman temples in India, in Fiji too. (will look for them).

  My feeling is they have nothing to do with Sita's
  agni parIksa.

  Prof. Alf Hiltebeitel will know much more on fire walking.

  Your friend,
  N. Ganesan