[q] Seeking information on "hiraNyagarbha" ceremony

Michael Rabe mrabe at ARTIC.EDU
Sat Jan 30 20:08:44 UTC 1999

On  Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:21:01 EST, you wrote to:
mrabe at ARTIC.EDU, jaybee at TM.NET.MY, sreeni at KTP.UNI-PADERBORN.DE,
        naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM, beitel at GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU,
        smadhuresan at yahoo.com
>Dear Scholars,
>Because of the new Indology policy of numerical quotas on posting, I am not
>posting this on Indology.
>Sreeni can look for early evidence of hiraNyagarbha in his native Andhra. The
>Ipur plates of Govindavarman's son Madhavavarman of the viSNukuNDin dynasty of
>zrIparvata say that the son performed hiraNyagarbha. EI , vol. 17, #20,
>p.334-337, article also gives references for other hiraNyagarbhas maTTepAd
>plates of dAmOdaravarman (EI, vol. 17, #18), and gOraNTla plates of attivarman
>(IA, Vol. 9, p.102)

Once again, I'm very impressed with the precision and depth of your
knowledge!  Surely the Hiranyagarbha ceremony must go way back in
time...very interesting stuff [gold is.  :^)].

>This is a note for Michael.
>according to legends, kumArila bhaTTa, the philosopher is said to have
>committed self-immolation out of guilt. If you are still interested in
>pursuing, I can give references.

Please do...plus any to any textual references to fire walking, at the
Draupadi temples or otherwise....do you agree that their might be a
connection the the agni-pariksha idea?  Showing one's sanctity in this way?
Maybe not, of course, but it's a scholarly hunch I'd like to corroborate
or nulllify via textual sources...

Good to hear from you personally again,

Warm Regards to you too,
Michael