God-human counsels

Mani Varadarajan mani at SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jan 22 18:53:47 UTC 1999

Dr. Ganesan writes:
>  What I originally meant was God-to-Human conversations.
> Counsels between humans, mostly men, are rampant in Sanskrit.
> The radical difference in Gita is it is God's counsel to
> a Man which is unknown even after the advent of Gita in
> Hinduism.

I do not know how you can say this. In post-Gita Hinduism,
God-human counsels are very prominent.  The Puranas are
full of them. One need only look at the Bhagavata Purana,
or the (Vaishnava, Saiva, or SAkta) Agamas to see this.
One may argue that this too is the influence of Buddhism,
either through the Gita or directly, but God-human counsels
certainly aren't "unknown".

Mani