The conversion issue

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at BLR.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Jan 21 15:45:44 UTC 1999

At 19:38 19.01.99 -0600, Sumedh Mungee wrote:

>Very well put. Not only do I agree 100%, but I admire and envy the
>degree of maturity that Mr. Misra has exhibited in his post.
>
>The anti-Indians (and there are some Indians amongst them) on this
>list are puzzling to me. I fail to understand why they would devote so
>much of their (and other peoples) time discussing, sermonizing and
>handing out harangues on a system and a culture that they obviously
>have such little respect for.

>On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Bijoy Misra wrote:
>
>> I do observe RZ's various postings to have anti-Indian
>> stance.

Your (and not only your) basic problem is that India is more than you think
it is. Much more. Apparently the postings on this list fail to convince you.
But perhaps you will find out for yourself in due course of time.

What I find personally very hurtful about these 'discussions' on this
once-upon-a-time academic list is that I too could have been a computer
programmer or something else that is comfortable in the Western world.
Instead, I studied Sanskrit and a few other Indian languages, spent more
than half of my life learning about Indian culture and have been living in
India for almost 16 years, with my very Indian (yes, rural brahmin, with a
family history that has literally been carved in stone for a thousand years,
for your information) wife and hence half-Indian daughter. -- I will not go
into further personal details. But can you understand that I am annoyed (to
put it mildly) at being accused of being 'anti-Indian' by NRI astronomers
and computer fellows who have left India for a life in the US? I honestly
believe that I do not deserve this. Also, I think I should not respond to
any further such totally immature postings.

RZ

Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Mysore (India)
e-mail zydenbos at bigfoot.com