pots, brahmin names, and potters

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 21 23:40:40 UTC 1999

Due to some problem with Dr. Arthur Karp's email, I am sending this to
Indology. But the content is related to something discussed in Indology
earlier. I hope he is able to receive this.

hart at free.polbox.pl writes:

> Any South Indian versions of the Ramayana that develop the theme of
>  Dazaratha's death? The motif of the king's body kept in (sesamum) oil?

In kamparAmAyaNam, there is a chapter called "tailamATTU paTalam" or the
chapter dealing with immersing in oil.

In 2.5.76.4  we have the line "taiyaR kaTaliR kiTantAn2ait tayilak kaTalin2
Ralai yuyttaR", meaning "they put in the 'sea' of oil on ewho used to lie in
the 'sea' of women". The word Ta. "tayila(m)" = Skt. taila.

In 2.9.125.3 we have the line "eNNe yuNTapon2 n2ezilkoN mEn2iyai"
Here the body of dazaratha is described as oily and beautiful. The word used
to denote oil is "eNNey"

Ta. eNNey = oil is really eL (sesame) + ney (oil, fat)  = sesame oil. The same
concept forms the basis for Sanskrit taila, where the word for sesame oil
forms the basis for a generalized oil.

In the Tamil version, vasiSTha who oversees the last rites prevents bharata
from doing the last rites and asks zatrughna to do it.

Regards
S. Palaniappan