'Siva Nandi

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN
Thu Jan 21 03:23:46 UTC 1999

There are natarAja murtis of 9th, 12th and 17th centuries in
zrIzailam temple. Make I do not know.

But it is the Urdhva tAnDava mUrti I think, that is very specific
to tamilnad. The story of this dance is supposed to have occurred
near "tillai". Lord ziva used this pose to defeat kALi (pArvati).
pArvati not wiiling to repeat this immodest pose brazenly conceded
defeat. Thus siva won by fraud. I wonder if ziva would have won the
contest if it took place now.

regards,

sarma.