'Siva Nandi

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Thu Jan 21 03:12:04 UTC 1999

As regards the pose, does this have any connection with the pictures of
Shiva and Kali one finds wherein Kali exclaims in disbelief (open-mouthed)
after she has realized that she has just stepped over her husband Shiva ?

Thanks
Ashish

-----Original Message-----
From:   DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA [SMTP:narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN]

[...]
But it is the Urdhva tAnDava mUrti I think, that is very specific
to tamilnad. The story of this dance is supposed to have occurred
near "tillai". Lord ziva used this pose to defeat kALi (pArvati).
pArvati not wiiling to repeat this immodest pose brazenly conceded
defeat. Thus siva won by fraud. I wonder if ziva would have won the
contest if it took place now.