The conversion issue

Bijoy Misra bmisra at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Jan 20 00:21:18 UTC 1999

I do observe RZ's various postings to have anti-Indian
stance.  I do not wish to protect India or Indian,
but to call anyone hypocrite is neither scholarly
or truthful.  Indian press reports what it
perceives as journalism.  They don't have to conform
to a different standard imposed on them.

The reason I write this note is to remind us that
it's not our goal (I think) to impose our views on people.
That's is the job of the people's leaders and they
know what to do.  People in a democracy carry a
voice and power.

Scholars study history, culture, rituals, politics,
but they aren't politicians.  Dogmas are left for
the preachers, evangelists, orators, who have taken
upon themselves the act of preaching.

To impose one's belief on another is called conversion.
All adult human beings have some belief of their
mortality, sins, goodness and character.  Religious
preachers try to change it.  Sometimes it's changed
by political machine.

There is no known Hindu preacher across the borders of India
until Swami Vivekananda started his ministry in NY in 1893.
Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada followed with a different tradition
in 1969.

While various discourses and rituals are arranged in India,
there is no hindu initiation ceremony.  The ceremony of
upanayana is a ritualistic discipline to prepare for
youthhood and community than to make a hindu.  There
may be new rituals where people are "reconverted" to
visit temples etc.  I am not familiar with those.
I was never initiated to be a hindu, but claim
to be one and none has disputed yet.

Bijoy Misra