The conversion issue

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at MATH.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Tue Jan 19 11:45:40 UTC 1999

Robert Zydenbos <zydenbos at BLR.VSNL.NET.IN> wrote:
> I believe that hardly anybody in the predominantly Christian West has
> raised a hue and cry about thousands and millions of people becoming
> Buddhists, Baha'is, Hindus, etc. etc. -- and this is how it should be.

May be this is because you are in India and don't listen to the likes
of Pat Robertson.

And how would you describe the organizations committed to
`deprogramming' (itself a loaded word: what is conversion and what
is programming) those who join `cults' (what is a cult and what is
a religion?)

Having spent half my life in India and half in US, the claim that
people in one place are inherently better than people elsewhere
rings hollow to me.

-Nath