Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc. -4

Christopher Fernandez chris_fernand90 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 10 16:39:36 UTC 1999

narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN writes:

> There is a name for this in Indology. It ia called "text torturing".
>  I want to point out that the adjuctive "dakshiNa" is used for
>people and the word "parvata" does not have this adjuctive. There
> is no logic or justification at all for dragging the adjuctive
>used for the  people
>  and linking it with "parvata" except that it suits us.
>
>  This is in addition to the text torturing done to the word
>  "dakshiNAtya" which has a well defined meaning in sanskrit
>  literature.

If I understand you correctly, you might have hit on the right
approach  to understanding VP 2.486.   Aren't you suggesting that
based  on your analysis of VP 2.485 and VP 2.486, there is no way
"parvata" can be semantically associated with "dAkSiNAtyeSu", and
that "parvata" cannot refer to a  person at all? Then, am I right
in assuming that, according to you, any  implication of
such association or equivalence reflects ignorance of proper
Sanskrit usage?

Chris