Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.-4

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN
Sun Jan 10 02:59:00 UTC 1999

There is a name for this in Indology. It ia called "text torturing".
I want to point out that the adjuctive "dakshiNa" is used for people
and the word "parvata" does not have this adjuctive. There is no logic
or justification at all for dragging the adjuctive used for the people
and linking it with "parvata" except that it suits us.

This is in addition to the text torturing done to the word
"dakshiNAtya" which has a well defined meaning in sanskrit
literature.

regards,

sarma.

At 01:50 PM 1/9/99 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/8/99 8:52:25 PM Central Standard Time,
>narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN writes:
>
>> The word "parvata" to mean Malaya mountain is worse than
>>  aprasiddha. For a North Indian reader who does not know dravidian it
>>  does not convey the meaning of Malaya mountain at all. It tells him that
>>  vyAkaraNAgamA was obtained from some mountain.
>
>parvata will become meaningful if VP 2.485 and 2.486 are considered together.
>According to Aklujkar, VP 2.485 says," vyAkaraNAgamaH dAkSiNAtyeSu grantha-
>mAtre vyavasthitaH" meaning "The traditional knowledge (which would include
>the oral tradition) of grammar remained among the Southerners only in book
>form" and  VP 2.486 runs thus: parvatAD Agamam labdhvA
bhASya-bIjAnusAribhiH |
>sa nIto bahuzaktvAM candrAcAryAdibhiH punaH ||  meaning "Having required the
>traditional knowledge from parvata, candrAcArya and others, who followed the
>indications in the bhASya, again made it (i.e., the traditional knowledge)
>many-branched".
>
>If the parvata is considered in light of the dAkSiNAtyeSu, then it becomes
not
>any mountain but the Southern Mountain or dakSiNAcala or malaya. In his notes
>to the viSNUpurANa reference of kulaparvatas, H. H. Wilson writes (viSNu
>purANa, p. 141), "Malaya is the southern portion of the western
Ghats:...Sahya