Ganesa, Laksmi, kubera

Nobumi Iyanaga n-iyanag at PPP.BEKKOAME.OR.JP
Sat Jan 9 05:50:46 UTC 1999

Hello,

I find in A. K. Coomaraswami, Yaksa, II, pl. 8-1, a photography of "Trinity
of Fortune": Laksmi seated between Ganesa and Kubera (about eighth century,
University Museum of Philadelphia).

M. K. Dhavalikar, "Ganesa: Myth and Reality", in Robert Brown, ed., Ganesh.
Studies of an Asian God, SUNY Press, 1991, p. 58-59, writes about some
Mathura sculptures of the same "trinity".

Is there any other example(s) of such "trinity" in the Indian iconography?

I also heard that there is a sculpture of sixth century (?) of Navagraha in
the Museum of Sarnath, in which Laksmi is flanked by Ganesa (at left) and
Sarasvati (at right).  I would like to know if this is true, and if there is
any reference on this sculpture.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Nobumi Iyanaga