Aghehananda Bharathi

Elliot Stern emstern at NNI.COM
Sat Jan 9 18:01:12 UTC 1999

><<<<
> Whatever has happened of Swami Aghehananda Bharathi,an Austrian by
>birth
>and who put down his life story in a book <OCHRE ROBE> and who later
>Syracuse Univ.?The last i heared /read about him was in an article
>Illustrated Weekly some years back.
>
>Perhaps List subscribers would have more information on him.
>>>>>

> According to the ex. Raja of Kollengode, Palghat district
> who is our family friend, Aghehananda Bharati was from Britain
> and served in the Indian army before Independence. He later
> worked in USA. Bharati died a decade ago & the Raja died
> 2 years ago.
>
> Kollengode Samasthanam hosted Kanchi Mahaperiyaval
> in late 1930s. The family album has rare photos of him,
> A. Bharati, ... The soma subtitute (called cOmbu in
> Tamil) is special for Kollengode region. Tamil brahmins
> settled in Kerala for centuries supply them at big
> vedic sacrifices to Nambudiris doing the sacrifice.
>
> Regards,
> N. Ganesan

Swami Agehananda Bharati was an Austrian by birth. To the best of my
recollection, he was born and grew up in Vienna. He was certainly not
British by birth, and I do not recall that he ever either lived in Britain,
or became a British citizen. For many years, until his death, he taught in
the Anthropology Department at Syracuse University.

Elliot M. Stern
552 South 48th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19143-2029
USA