Indian Gemmology

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 3 23:13:22 UTC 1999

naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Please inform me on anything you find on vaiDuurya, 'cat's eye'
>  gemstone. Its word meaning, possible derivations, occurences in
>  Indian literature, where these are unearthed, ...

Jan Gonda in Old Indian (1971) p. 198 says, "vaiDUrya- "cat's-eye gem" which
has now been explained as Dravidian (from the place-name vellUr) was according
to pANini 4,3,84 a derivative of vidUra- "very remote"."

Regards
S. Palaniappan