Indian Gemmology

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 3 12:50:17 UTC 1999

<<<<
I'm going to study Indian treatises on Gemmology, and with this aim I
have
already collected some basilar books edited in the last century by
western
scholars. Moreover, I got also several articles on the subject published
on
the Indian Journal of History of Science. Would anyone suggest other
books
or articles on this subject? Many thanks in advance. Riccardo Garbini.

 Please inform me on anything you find on vaiDuurya, 'cat's eye'
gemstone. Its word meaning, possible derivations, occurences in
Indian literature, where these are unearthed, ...

The following may be of some help:
1) S. R. N. Murthy, Gemmological studies in Sanskrit texts: English
rendering with notes on gemmology in five Sanskrit texts. Bangalore,
 2 v.
2) Raj Roop Tank, Indian gemmology, Jaipur, 1971, 134 p.
3) Ricahrd Brown, Ancient astrological gemstones and talismans, Bangkok,
1995
4) Donatella Mazzeo, India: la corte e il tempio
5) A. M. Ferguson, All about gold, gems, and pearls (also minerals
generally) in Ceylon and Southern India, London, 1888, 428 p.
6) L. A. Narayana Iyer, Indian precious stones,
Calcutta: Geological survey of India, 1942, 54 p.

With kind regards,
N. Ganesan