Concept of Mukti and Shankaracharya

George Cronk george9252 at MSN.COM
Sun Jan 3 23:04:36 UTC 1999

One more point on the foregoing:  I think that Shamkara is wrong to
attribute to the Buddha three mutually exclusive philosophical perspectives.
But he does seem to do so.

-----Original Message-----
From: DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA <narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN>
To: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Date: Sunday, January 03, 1999 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: Concept of Mukti and Shankaracharya

Here the reference seems to be to sarvAsthivAdins (vaibhASikAs),
vijnAnavAdins and zUnyavAdins. This is hardly an attack
by Sankara on Buddha as a person but an attack on the later
schools of Buddhism. Insteaad of refuting them individually
Sankara takes the easy way out. He heckles them for their lack
of unanimity about what is the teaching of Buddha.

regards,

sarma.