Re Potala(ka), etc

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 26 17:30:39 UTC 1999

I recall Prof. Geoffrey Samuel's posting seeking whether we
know how does Venkateshvara look in His unadored state.
Let me tell what I heard from Padmasri Muthiah Stapathi.
Sri. Muthiah Sthapathi is close to Kanchi Sankaracharyas.
During MahaperiyavAL's times, he and his family renovated
scores of temples in AP (eg., Srisailam). Thiru. M. Sthapathi
a nephew of Sri. Ganapati Sthapathi, stayed in my house
few times in Coimbatore or in USA.

He told me this (in translation): "It was a great moment in my
life to go and examine Venkateshvara, the main deity.
He wears unmistakably the Conch and Discus;
This is when He wears no jewels or garland".

Venkateshvara does not look like Ajanta Padmapani at all.

CilappatikAram and Sri Alvars know pretty well that
he is TirumAl-Vishnu only.

Regards
N. Ganesan