the word "potiyil" in classical Tamil (was Re: the word "potiyil" inside MaNimEkalai)

Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD jlc at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Fri Feb 26 08:17:44 UTC 1999

A 17:47 24/02/99 +0100, Swaminathan Madhuresan wrote:

>>>Can you give us the places where Potiyam and Potiyil figures
>>>in Sangam texts (eTTut tokai and pattup paaTTu)? Please.
>>>
>> >How many places Potiyil refers to Mt. Potiyil
>>>and at how many places it refers to a "Public Hall".

This time I am sending the data for pattup pATTu (after taking care of
akam, puRam and maNimEkalai in my previous postings. I checked
against J.V. Chelliah's translation (Ten Tamil Idylls)
that was published long back by kazhakam

To summarize, the word "potiyil" is
* not used at all to refer to Mount Potiyil
* used 3 times to refer to a public hall (or a hall for worship?)
        (H7, H8, H9)

H7 = tiru-226 (Chelliah, p.355)
H8 = matu-161 (Chelliah, p.241)
H9 = paTTi-249 (Chelliah, p.45)

I hope this is useful to somebody :-)
 Naturally, people are usually more interested in positive :-))
 than in negative evidences :-(

Best wishes

-- Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD (Paris)