Re Potala(ka), etc

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 26 15:45:49 UTC 1999

On 26-Feb-1999, Dr. Chevillard writes:

> As for geography, I very much doubt one can make any
> precise deduction from it.

   I am little confused here. Does *malaya* in maNimEkalai 1-3
   does not belong to Potikai/Potiyil?

   UVS, the great editor says so. Also, A. Danielou and T. V. Gopal Iyer
   do the same.

   If Chevillard DOUBTS UVS' and T. V. Gopal Iyer's identification
   of *malaya* in Manimekalai 1-3 with Potikai, what is his guess?

   Sincerely,
   SM

---Jean-Luc CHEVILLARD <jlc at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR> wrote:

> N. Ganesan wrote:
>
> > The Buddhist epic in Tamil from 6th century (Re: P. Schalk's
> >volume on Manimekalai)  fixes Malaya as
> >Mt. Potiyil/Potikai. Malaya as Potikai/Potiyil
> >is used in the beginning of the B. epic. Also, many Sanskrit
> >texts fix Malaya mountains in South Tamilnadu of which
Potiyil/Potikai